Navigate / search

Scholar discusses research in De Niro collection

By Edgar Walters

R. Colin Tait, a Ph.D. candidate at The University of Texas at Austin, has used the Ransom Center’s Robert De Niro collection as the basis for his dissertation, “Robert De Niro’s Method: Acting, Authorship and Agency in the New Hollywood (1967–1980).” Tait argues that De Niro has been a major intellectual and creative contributor to the world of film and acting and writes about his research in the De Niro archive. Tait shares how the papers reveal the actor’s commitment to his craft with examples of his “meticulous research, collaborations with directors, and extreme bodily transformations.”

In the above video, Tait discusses De Niro’s place in the film canon.

R. Colin Tait works with papers in the Robert De Niro archive in the Ransom Center’s reading room. Photo by Pete Smith.

Comments

anonymouse
Reply

“canon”

Mike Hatch
Reply

Thanks for video and article. Been a fan of Robert De Niro since I was a teenager. There’s a lot more to his career than I’m sure Colin Tait had time to write about. For instance, De Niro’s foray into comedy in the 2000s starting with Analyze This. Where can we get the full dissertation?

R. Colin Tait
Reply

Hi Mike,

Due to the scale of the collection, I focused on De Niro’s work in the 1970s in my dissertation.
I am planning on working my way through the collection in the future to include De Niro’s later work – as well as his move into comedy and his transformation into an action star in the 1980s.
As for my dissertation, it should eventually be available online soon via the UT library system.
For now, you can read my essay on the making of Raging Bull here – http://andrewdewaard.com/rcolintait/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/TAIT-Robert-De-Niros-Raging-Bull-CJFS.pdf