Dear Student Employment Forum and GCN members,
As you know, HR does not administer the student health insurance plan (SHIP) offered by Academic Health Plans (AHP). However, I’ve received information about the premium rates and plan changes for 2014-15, and since the changes are significant, I want to share them with you. AHP expects to have the updated information on their webpage (https://www.academichealthplans.com/utexas/2013-2014/ ) on July 1.
The following information was provided by UT System, which is responsible for contracting with the student health insurance vendor:
We realize the Student Health Insurance Plan is realizing a fairly large increase, we did everything we could to keep it as low as possible. It could have been much higher. The increase reflects medical trend, required ACA plan benefit changes and a few other plan benefit changes to help keep costs down, ACA taxes and fees, and Plan Utilization. These rates include the $12.00 per student per year for Academic Emergency Services Global emergency package including repatriation, medical evaluation and an accidental death benefit.
Required ACA Changes and Modifications for the 2014-2015 Policy Year:
· The Maximum benefit has been increased from $500,000 to “unlimited” per policy year,
· The pre-existing condition limitation has been removed from the policy,
· Pediatric dental and vision benefits have been added to the plan,
· The Individual deductible has been changed from $300 to: $500 (in network) / $1,000 (out of network),
· A family deductible has been added for $1,500 (in network) / $3,000 (out of network),
· An individual out of pocket maximum has been added for $6,250 (in network) / $12,500 (out of network),
· A family out of pocket maximum has been added for $12,700 (in network) / $37,500 (out of network),
· The office visit benefit has been changed from 80/60 to: $20 co-pay (in network) then 100% and the deductible is waived, out of network will be paid at 60% and subject to the deductible,
- The specialist visit benefit has been changed from 80/60 to: $40 co-pay (in network) then 100% and the deductible is waived, out of network will be paid at 60% and subject to the deductible,
- The ER co-pay has been changed from $75 to: $100 then payable at 80% in and out of network, (The deductible is waived if admitted to the hospital)
- The Prescription Drug benefit has been changed from $10 / $15 co-pays to: $15 / $30 / $50 co-pays,
- The waiver requirement for International Students will be modified per the UT System new health insurance requirements for International Students,
- Texas required benchmark changes / essential benefit changes have been added to the plan including organ transplants.
Below are the new rates for the domestic Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2014-2015 Academic year.
- Student $1,859.00
- Additional to cover spouse $5,266.00
- Additional to cover children $2,894.00
PLEASE NOTE THIS NEW REQUIREMENT:
Starting this year, students must enroll during open enrollment or they will have to wait until the next open enrollment period (unless they have a qualified change of status). This means students can enroll in the SHIP only during the open enrollment dates, much like you do as an employee with your employee insurance. There will be open enrollment dates for each semester.
Fall – Students must enroll no later than October 15th, coverage will be effective the day after they enroll
Spring – no later than March 15th
Summer – no later than June 15th
The policy year for domestic students is 8/15/14 -8/14/15. The annual rates are the same for international students, but the policy year for them now runs 9/1/14 to 8/31/15. International students will also be charged $155.00 for August insurance this fall, since the current policy year runs only until 7/31/14. More information about changes in the waiver requirement for international students is forthcoming from the International Office.
Ivan Kopecky is the Academic Health Plans representative for UT Austin, and he’s the best person to contact with questions about the plan. He can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by cell phone at 512-461-4735. I’ve scheduled a Student Employment Forum for Thursday, August 7, 10 – 11:30 am, and Ivan’s on the agenda to do a presentation about the SHIP plan changes.
Again, HR does not administer SHIP, so I’d ask that you not direct questions about SHIP to the HR Service Center. The Service Center is happy to assist you with questions about UT Select and COBRA.
Amy L. Greenspan I Student Employment Coordinator | Human Resource Services | UT Austin | http://www.utexas.edu/hr/student/| 512.475.8015 |HR Service Center, 512.471.HRSC | email@example.com
Student employment questions? Visit the the HRS Student Employee pageor askUS!
Like us on Facebook to keep up with the latest Student Employment news and resources.