September 21, 2010

Merit Raises for Staff and Faculty

A Tower Talk reader, who is a staff member in Admissions, asked me for an update on the merit-based, one-time salary increases that I announced in an email I sent to the campus on June 22.

As I mentioned in the email, the University Budget Council reached the decision that UT cannot afford to commit to permanent salary increases for fiscal year 2010-11.  However, we will implement a one-time, merit-based payment program for staff and faculty.  The raise pool amounts to approximately 2% of total current compensation for staff and faculty.

These salary increases will be administered in the form of a single payment on December 7th of this year.  Employees are eligible for consideration if they have been employed by the University for the six months immediately preceding November 1, 2010 and at least six months has elapsed since the employee’s last merit increase.  Payments are based on performance, so some will receive more than 2%, some will receive less than 2%, and some will not receive a payment. Staff and faculty will be notified by their department in November of their recommended increases.

All one-time merit payments are subject to taxes and will be included in computations that determine retirement benefits in the Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and in the Optional Retirement Program (ORP).

I know this is not an ideal plan, but it is the best we can do in this environment of austerity and budget cuts.

I appreciate all of the dedicated work that our staff and faculty perform on this campus every day.

Thank you for everything you do to create an even better university.

Bill's Signature

Share this Story:

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • TwitThis
  • Technorati

2 Responses to “Merit Raises for Staff and Faculty”

1. A post-doc says:

I understand that there is a decision not to consider post-docs for the one time merit, including those who are on 100% soft money.

I feel this distinction is unfair.
    We work just as hard as anyone else at the university, contributing to the fame of the university by publishing papers that help “Change the world”.

The exemption of post-docs makes us feel as if we’re second-rate citizens, not worthy of being considered for a merit.

2. Drew Carls says:

Thank you for keeping us updated.