September 05, 2012

James Hill built bridges to critical UT constituents

Hill, James

On Sunday, the University of Texas lost a great member of the family, Senior Vice President James Hill.

Unable to enroll at UT during segregation, he ultimately earned his master’s and PhD here, and, after rising through the ranks to become deputy commissioner at the Texas Education Agency and working in the private sector, he returned to UT, eventually becoming its first African-American vice president.

In 1993 he joined the UT administration as associate vice president for administration and public affairs. In 2000, Dr. Hill became vice president for community and school relations and oversaw the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, the University Interscholastic League, Neighborhood Longhorns, Community and School Relations, University Outreach programs, and Pre-college Youth Development.

Dr. Hill facilitated our relationships with schools, school systems, and state agencies and was a leader in promoting diversity among students and faculty. He strengthened our relations with neighboring communities and minorities. In 2007, I appointed him senior vice president.

Dr. Hill’s dogged pursuit of achievement in the face of adversity inspires us and allows us to glimpse in a single lifetime just how far we’ve come as a university and a society.

My thoughts today are with his family and friends. I will miss him. We all will.

Click here for Dr. Hill’s obituary and funeral information.

Share this Story:

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • TwitThis
  • Technorati

7 Responses to “James Hill built bridges to critical UT constituents”

1. Angela Hodge says:

I had the pleasure of working with Dr. Hill while selecting the recipient of his (freshman) scholarship. He endeavoured to reach into the community and assist young stars (not a typo) with attaining all the opportunities afforded him. Dr. Hill had an infectious smile, he spoke softly and imparted many words of wisdom and encouragement. I thank him for all the obstacles that he tackled and overcame as they laid the groundwork for me to attend UT and graduate. I am grateful to trailblazers such as Dr. Hill who opened doors for employees like me to be hired and move up the ranks; these contributions have enabled the university to become more diverse and continue to “…change the world…” May he rest in peace and I hope his lovely wife and family find comfort in this time of condolence. Job well done Dr. Hill, job well done.

2. Wilbert King says:

Dr. Hill conducted the final interview for my first full time job at the University. He was kind, cordial, and professional and on that day he hired me. His hands on approach was an inspiration to me, and he will be greatly missed.

3. T.J.King says:

I didn’t know Dr. Hill personally, but whenever I’d see him around campus he’d always greet me with a smile and a friendly hello. I appreciate that and I’ll miss him.

4. Gary Speer says:

Condolences to Dr. Hill’s family. Dr. Hill always had a smile for those who greeted him on campus, and he would take time to visit with students or staff, anytime. He had a very positive influence on the university campus.

5. David Fowler says:

Jim Hill was a wonderful representative of the University. He was always smiling, alwayes friendly and always helpful. He will be greatly missed.

6. Leticia Acosta says:

UT lost a true treasure with Dr. Hill. He will be missed dearly by all those who had the great fortune to know him.

7. Brandelyn Franks says:

In legacy building, this man was the lead architect. We lost a true man of character and integrity, but heaven has truly gained an angel. May comfort beyond understanding extend to the family of Dr. James Hill.